How to enable Acct-Interim-Interval?

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Tue Jan 2 00:07:17 CET 2018

On Jan 1, 2018, at 4:47 PM, Houman <houmie at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm not quite sure how to enable Acct-Interim-Interval in free radius.

  You don't "enable" it.  You send it in an Access-Accept.

> /etc/freeradius/sites-enabled/default
>
> post-auth {
>        update reply {
>                Acct-Interim-Interval = 60
>        }

  That's a little low.  The typical interval is 5min.

> I still can't see the accounting data (Octlets) to be updated after 60
> seconds.
> Only after I disconnect the connection, I can see them updated.

  What does that mean?

  Does the NAS send packets are the user is disconnected?  That doesn't make any sense.

> Before my NAS is accused of not supporting it, I can see it does:
>
> https://wiki.strongswan.org/projects/strongswan/wiki/Strongswanconf
>
> Interval in seconds for interim RADIUS accounting updates, if not specified
>> by the RADIUS server in the Access-Accept message.

  <shrug>  The NAS sends packets.  If the NAS doesn't send packets, see the NAS documentation for why it doesn't send packets.

> What am I missing, please?

  If FreeRADIUS tells the NAS to send packets, and the NAS doesn't send packets... blame the NAS.

  But try changing the interval to 300, instead of 60.  That may help.  But these limited *should* be documented in the NAS documentation.