freeradius high cpu load

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Thu Jan 18 15:48:00 CET 2018

On Jan 18, 2018, at 9:08 AM, Bassem Mettichi <mettichi at gmail.com> wrote:
> iam using freeradius version 3.0.15 with rlm_redis and rlm_perl.

  Perl is slow.  Very, very, slow.

> on this server i have 4 VCPU, when i start a becnh test with 6000
> accounting start / sec i see that all my 4 VCPU  are used 97% for every
> vcpu any advise please to minimize the use of vcpu on freeradius?

a) send it fewer packets per second

b) make it do less work per-packet

  Those are your two choices.

  So I'll echo Adam's comment.. what are you doing with those packets?

  As an explanation, if you put user entries into the "users" file, the server will happily authentication 20K packets/s on a single CPU.

  So any *higher* CPU usage is something you did to your local configuration.