freeradius high cpu load

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Thu Jan 18 18:13:20 CET 2018

On Jan 18, 2018, at 11:55 AM, Matt Zagrabelny <mzagrabe at d.umn.edu> wrote:
> For the sake of my own curiosity, does anyone know the throughput for FR
> dumping accounting packets to disk?

  To the detail file?  1000's of packets per second.  It doesn't do fsync, so it should as fast as memory / disk IO allows.

  But, it all depends on the local configuration.  OS, disk type, etc.  It can vary widely.

  We've done 10K+ writes per second to Redis.  I don't imagine that plain disk IO is faster than that.  So slower. but perhaps not by a factor of 10.

  When you have millions of users and 10K packets/s, you need high availability, fail-over, clusters of servers, load balancers.

  A "naive" install of "install FR and DB" is fine for 10K users, and 100 packets.  It is entirely the wrong thing to do for 10K packets/s.

  My final $0.02 is that it's not really nice to (a) charge a customer for services you're incapable of providing, and (b) ask *us* to support you for free, and then (c) complain about the free support.