Reliably identify guest users/clients

Nico Thomas nico.thomas at uni-konstanz.de
Tue Jul 3 21:38:08 CEST 2018

Hi,

I'm working on a module which allows a WiFi network host to dynamically
accept
or deny guests when they login.
Therefore, known Cleartext-Passwords (or guest account data in general)
are not
available when mod_authorize is called.

As my first idea of setting Auth-Type accept isn't possible in
combination with
EAP, I'm currently using a predefined password independent from the user
instead.
Then, I try to identify known users later. This is necessary as the
Access-Requests are typically retransmitted faster than the network host can
decide whether to let a guest in or not. At the moment, only
Calling-Station-Id
and user name are used for identification, which I am not really happy with.

So my question is: Are there other attributes available to a module in
addition
to the Calling-Station-Id, which could be used to identify a user/device
(besides credentials)?

Thanks in advance and regards,

Nico