Reliably identify guest users/clients

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Tue Jul 3 21:42:44 CEST 2018

On Jul 3, 2018, at 3:38 PM, Nico Thomas <nico.thomas at uni-konstanz.de> wrote:
> I'm working on a module which allows a WiFi network host to dynamically accept
> or deny guests when they login.
> Therefore, known Cleartext-Passwords (or guest account data in general) are not
> available when mod_authorize is called.

  It's possible to add passwords later in the authentication process.

> As my first idea of setting Auth-Type accept isn't possible in combination with
> EAP, I'm currently using a predefined password independent from the user instead.

  If all of the users have the same password, then that's possible.

> Then, I try to identify known users later. This is necessary as the
> Access-Requests are typically retransmitted faster than the network host can
> decide whether to let a guest in or not.

  I'm not sure what that means.  What is being "retransmitted"?

  If your back-end database is taking ~5s to decide if a user is valid, then that needs to be fixed.  It should take ~10ms at most.

> At the moment, only Calling-Station-Id
> and user name are used for identification, which I am not really happy with.

  Both can be spoofed, unfortunately.

> So my question is: Are there other attributes available to a module in addition
> to the Calling-Station-Id, which could be used to identify a user/device
> (besides credentials)?

  The only attributes you have are ones which appear in the debug log.  i.e. attributes sent by the WiFi access point.

  And any attributes which can identify the user can be spoofed by the user.  Which is why users have per-user passwords in the first place.