Execute shell script in older version of FreeRADIUS

Dom Latter freeradius-users at latter.org
Thu Mar 1 11:15:44 CET 2018

On 28/02/18 19:39, MLists wrote:

> What is the best/right way to accomplish this in FreeRADIUS 2.2.0?

As per Alan's reply, I have been using the exec module for a few
years now.  You should note the warning given in the docs:
http://networkradius.com/doc/3.0.10/raddb/mods-available/exec.html

"The exec module may look like it works for one or two tests, but in a
live situation it can cause the server to become unresponsive under
load" and I think we have been suffering from this.

See my thread "Perl vs. python vs. Lua?" from a couple of days ago to
see Alan's comments on alternatives to using exec.

More generally, when you say "what I need to do is run one script after
a user is authenticated to which will extract the username and the IP
address" what problem are you trying to solve?  This information can
be had from (or made to appear in) radacct and radpostauth tables.