Freeradius crashing due to load?

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Thu Mar 1 14:53:26 CET 2018

On Mar 1, 2018, at 2:29 AM, 8zero2 operations <8zero2ops at gmail.com> wrote:

> I am attaching error logs of freeradius getting crashed randomly during day.

> Thu Mar  1 11:45:24 2018 : Error: (1304488) Ignoring duplicate packet from
> client XXXXXXXX port 44953 - ID: 35 due to unfinished request in component
> authorize module

  Something is blocking the server.  Fix that.

  It's usually the SQL module...

> Thu Mar  1 11:45:34 2018 : ERROR: (1304618)       ERROR: Timeout waiting
> for child

  Yes.  The child thread is being blocked.

> I have database server modules enabled of sql and ldap. I have monitored
> them and there is no considerable load on them when this crash happens.

  That doesn't matter.  What matters is that the client library isn't returning to FreeRADIUS.

  Maybe there's something which blocks TCP connections.

> How can I debug it and find which module is unresponsive while crash? Just
> point a finger to a direction i will find the way.

  Run it under gdb.  See doc/bugs for details.