Accounting-Response taking too long

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Thu Mar 8 15:38:18 CET 2018

On Mar 8, 2018, at 2:49 AM, mustafa mujahid <mustafa.mujahid at outlook.com> wrote:

> The server has absolutely nothing extra aside from the default configuration,

  The default configuration doesn't contain anything which blocks for 8-10 seconds.

> no scripts or any type of automation at that. Its a completely default configuration. I have investigated the DB and plotted a latency graph with the help of the wire shark output. The graph is attached. I first thought it was the DB that was responding slowly but the graph shows only a few requests taking longer than 1 second to complete (y-axis is seconds).

   Well, it's almost always the DB.  FreeRADIUS can do 50K packets/s with sub-millisecond latency on every packet.

   And if the DB takes 1s to respond, that's a big problem.  It should always be much faster.

> Now the issue occurs during the load time of 8pm, I would love to paste the debug output but the debug moves so fast that nothing can be tracked. I'm quite stuck and this has become an issue for us. Anything at all that could be recommended that I can check to identify the issue would be greatly appreciated.  Network latency from NAS to Radius and Radius to DB is less than 1 ms.

  Network latency doesn't matter.

  The issue is almost definitely the database.  If the database is slow, it slows down FreeRADIUS.