Strongswan integration, Access-Request contains no credentials?

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Fri Mar 16 17:29:38 CET 2018

On Mar 16, 2018, at 3:18 PM, Phil Frost <phil at postmates.com> wrote:
> Thanks, this has been extremely helpful. So my issues came down to two
> things:
>
> 1. In strongswan.conf, I had "charon.eap-radius.eap_start = yes". This
> needs to be "no". This is why there was no EAP-Message in the initial
> exchange with freeradius. I found this confusingly backwards -- "eap_start
> = no" means strongswan SHOULD start the EAP exchange. If it's set to "yes"
> then it just sends an Access-Request to freeradius with no EAP-Message, and
> freeradius is supposed to reply with an EAP-Message.

  No.  That's not how RADIUS works.

  The *only* way that FreeRADIUS knows a system can do EAP is that the system sends a RADIUS packet containing EAP-Messge.

> As far as I've seen
> there's no way to configure freeradius this way: an Access-Request which
> contains to EAP-Message nor any other kind of credentials will simply be
> rejected with Access-Reject, which tells stronsgwan to fail the IKEv2
> exchange.

  Yes.  That's how RADIUS works.

  As a hint, if there's no way to configure something, it's probably because that thing is impossible, or wrong.

> 2. I was missing "eap" in my authorize{} section in the freeradius config.

  The default configuration contains "eap" among many other things for a reason...

> Once I got strongswan sending the initial EAP-Message this was obvious from
> the freeradius debug output.

  That's good to hear.