Using machine auth from a remote eduroam site

Graham Clinch g.clinch at lancaster.ac.uk
Mon Mar 26 21:52:34 CEST 2018

Hi Alex,

> We now want to enable our managed laptops to  connect to eduroam at a
> remote site using machine authentication using EAP-TTLS.
>
> I've got part of the way in that I can see an inbound request from
> host/<fqdn of laptop> and a failure

Have you found a Windows knob to append an NAI-style realm to the the
advertised username of 'host/computer.ad.domain'?  I'd be very
interested to know more if you had!  If not I guess you'll be looking to
the remote site to proxy around the side of the eduroam national
proxies?  (I have a feeling that is frowned upon by the eduroam tech-specs?)

We use PEAP/MSCHAPv2 throughout for both User- and Host- authentication,
with only a single mschap instance - it feels to me like you could be
missing rewriting the computer's 'username' to 'computername$'.

Our configuration has diverged substantially from the stock freeradius
configuration, but here's a hopefully useful snippet:

-=-
server peap-inner {
     authorize {
         filter_username
         filter_inner_identity

         suffix
         if (!ok) {
             update request {
                 &Module-Failure-Message += 'Inner realm not local'
             }
             reject
         }

         # Only lancs.local computer accounts can authenticate without a
realm
         if (&Realm == "NULL") {
             if (&User-Name =~ /^host\/(.+)\.lancs\.local$/) {
                 update request {
                     &Stripped-User-Name := "%{1}$"
                 }
             } else {
                 update request {
                     &Module-Failure-Message += 'Only lancs.local
computer account authentication is available without an NAI realm'
                 }
                 reject
             }
[...]