Using machine auth from a remote eduroam site

Alex Sharaz alex.sharaz at york.ac.uk
Mon Mar 26 23:16:04 CEST 2018

What we were originally doing wa using eap-ttls. In windows we could
set the outer UserName to be @york.ac.uk and the inner UserName to be
itsyork/<userid> ... problem was that it worked for wired 802.1x but
not wifi dot1x. We're nowtrying a Securew2 driver to get round the
issue wih the windows built in  eap-ttls setup.

What our desktop people have done is do a machine auth using eap-ttls
with outer username=@york.ac.uk.  This does get as far as our ORPS
systems from a remote eduroam site  and  the only thing wrong is at
the mschap level which I guess is due to my use of stripped user name.

Why not use EAP-TLS ? because although  I have a cloudpath one stop
server for cert management its not a windows PKI so they're waiting
until one is available. They are planning on using TLS when that PKI
is available.

Rgds