DHCP Server Limits

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Thu May 17 13:31:01 CEST 2018

On May 17, 2018, at 7:09 AM, 8zero2 operations <8zero2ops at gmail.com> wrote

> I have a setup which has multiple /20s(atleast 6) and i want to manage dhcp
> using FR 3.0.16. Now As i see I have to enter all the IP address in mysql
> for the FR to offer IP from when a DHCP request comes in.

  Yes.  FreeRADIUS doesn't implement a bad database itself (i.e. ISC does).  Instead, FreeRADIUS relies on real databases to store the leases.

> The total entries amount to 24576 so is it feasible to have frequent dhcp
> requests coming in, And as i see it searches in table everytime a request
> is coming.

  25K leases is a very small amount.  FreeRADIUS is being used in systems with 500K+ leases (using SQL), or millions of leases (using Redis cluster).

> I might even have to throw in another sql query for DHCP request
> authentication, So is it a scalable solution?

  Yes.

> Or should i go for ISC(KEA
> also coming round the corner)?

  I don't think I would recommend ISC for anything.  I originally wrote the DHCP plugin for FreeRADIUS because I was frustrated with ISCs lack of flexibility, configurability, and it's fanatical insistence that databases didn't exist.