Installing FreeRADIUS from source on macOS

Palvelin Postmaster postmaster at palvelin.fi
Thu Oct 11 10:22:28 CEST 2018

Hi,

has anyone successfully installed FreeRADIUS 3.x and it’s dependencies from source on macOS Mojave (or previous versions)? More specifically, I’m primarily interested in using FR for authenticating against Open Directory.

I’d prefer not to use Homebrew to install because I already use Macports (unfortunately there isn’t a 3.x build available yet).

The wiki instructions: https://wiki.freeradius.org/building/macOS are very straight forward but don't include some of the configure flags ('--with-talloc-lib-dir --with-talloc-include-dir= --with-openssl-lib-dir= --with-openssl-include-dir’) included in the Homebrew formula: https://github.com/Homebrew/homebrew-core/blob/master/Formula/freeradius-server.rb

Also, Apple's Makefile of FreeRADIUS 2.2 included in the Server App has a few other configure flags ('--disable-static --enable-shared --enable-ltdl-install=yes  --without-rlm_perl --without-rlm_sql_mysql') as well as some CC and LD flags which I’m thinking could still be relevant: https://opensource.apple.com/source/freeradius/freeradius-42/Makefile.auto.html).

It would appear OD support is an ’experimental’ feature in FR 3.x so I believe '--with-experimental-modules’ is needed at the very least.

--
Palvelin.fi Hostmaster
postmaster at palvelin.fi