FreeRadius tools to gather statistics

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Wed Oct 17 12:45:59 CEST 2018

On Oct 17, 2018, at 2:35 AM, work vlpl <thework.vlpl at gmail.com> wrote:
> From documentation/wiki I found two tools to gather statistics from
> FreeRadius - radsniff and status server.
> First show statistic for radius protocol packets.
> Second can show counters for Access-Accept/Access-Reject response -
> this is exactly what I need. But I have a little concern about it. If
> radius server will stop working, counters will be reseted. And if for
> example I query status server every 10 seconds, then statistics at
> least for last 10 seconds may be lost - it is not big deal but it is
> not desirable.

  That's how statistics work.  How do you suggest that the server keeps statistics when it's not running?

> Are there any tools to gather statistics from FreeRadius? Excluding
> log processing.

  See files in the "scripts/munin" directory.  Or, "scripts/collectd".  Those are both tools which collect and graph statistics.

> Maybe there is exists mechanism to save status server counter between
> FreeRadius server restarts? For example like
> iptables-save/iptables-restore can do.

  No.

> And default configuration for status servers contains the next warning
> "Due to internal limitations, the statistics might not be exactly up
> to date.  Do not expect all of the numbers to add up perfectly."
>
> Does it means that statistic counters always are approximate values?
> Or if FreeRadius will idle for some time the counters values will be
> updated to actual values?

  It means that if you're getting statistics once a second, then the statistics are only updated to that second.

  Statistics in a running system aren't perfect.  They're close to real-time, but not exact.  That's how statistics works.