pap + mac auth authentication problem

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Wed Oct 31 11:42:16 CET 2018

On Oct 31, 2018, at 5:16 AM, Frédéric Goudal <frederic.goudal at bordeaux-inp.fr> wrote:
>> Making snide comments about the documentation is not really appropriate.  It motivates us to ignore you entirely.
>
> Well, your anwer was harsh…

  You expected that making snide comments would make us like you?

> what did you expect from a sysadmin who has been fighting against your documentation ? An answer on the same style.

  Ah, you start off being rude, and when I point out this isn't appropriate, you double down on your rudeness.  And blame me.

  That shows a distinct lack of self-awareness.

> Ok, let’s take an example :
> - in your configuration file there are -ldap stanza…
> - in your documentation where is the minus sign documented ?
> - how do I find it if I don’t know ?

  Read the configuration files?  Or read the debug output?  Or ask on the mailing list?

  Here's a normal question:

Q: I can't find anywhere what "-ldap" means.  Can you guys tell me?

  Here's your question:

Q: Your documentation sucks!  Can you help me?

  Which one motivates people to help you?

> So… what do you expect from a sysadmin who has a lot of work and has to spend hours not to find the correct answer.

  Ask questions on the mailing list?  If you've paid attention, you'll see that most questions are answered very quickly.  i.e. in less than hours.

  i.e. you don't bother asking questions, and then blame us for how long it took to get the answer.

> You know I’m a senior sysadmin, I have been dealing with hundreds of products and documentation for more than 25 years I KNOW what is a good documentation.
> I have spoken with several colleague and they all say the same… so maybe you can learn to accept your users advice…

  You get this product for free, and all you can do is shit on the people who wrote it.  Wonderful.

  FreeRADIUS has been going for about 20 years now.  In that time, I've seen endless numbers of whiners who complain about the documentation.  I can't think of a single one who has *contributed* something to make it better.  You fall into the same camp.

  Why would I accept advice from someone who isn't giving any advice?  "Your documentation sucks" isn't a productive comment.

  You didn't offer a patch to document the problem you had.  Instead, you just made rude comments, and expected that we would be grateful.

  I'll make it simple for you.  If you ask good questions, we can answer them.  If you contribute, your contributions will be reviewed and generally accepted.  If you keep complaining on the list, you will be unsubscribed, and permanently banned.