NAS-Port / radwho

Hans-Christian Esperer hc at hcesperer.org
Sat Sep 8 07:25:06 CEST 2018

Hi,

I'm using freeradius 3.17 with unifi APs[1] to provide authentication and
accounting. I'm currently using 3 APs.

I've run into a problem: radwho will only ever display one user per AP at max.
I've run radiusd -X and also looked into the source code that handles radutmp.
It seems that the NAS-Port value needs to be unique per user. The APs, however,
always supply a NAS-Port of 0. I've looked a bit into the hostapd that unifi is
using, and it seems it is a (heavily) patched version, so no chance to get a
standard hostapd running.

I've tested with standard hostapd: This does use a unique NAS-Port value when
sending accounting packets to the radius server, so all concurrently logged in
users per AP are shown correctly by radwho.

My question is: Is there any way to get radwho/radutmp accounting to work
correctly even with the NAS-Port always set to 0?

Thanks,
 HC

[1] https://www.ubnt.com/unifi/unifi-ap/