3.0.17 string escape rules [was: 3.0.17 password ending in '\' problem, LDAP backend [bug?]]

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Tue Sep 11 15:18:14 CEST 2018

On Sep 11, 2018, at 9:00 AM, Kostas Zorbadelos <kzorba at otenet.gr> wrote:
> Have you documented somewhere what is your intended policy with strings?

  The normal rules apply for double-quoted strings.  There's no need to re-document rules which have been documented elsewhere for 30+ years.

> Does it affect all strings (as in xlat expanded in configuration *and*
> string radius attribute values)?

  The rules for double quoted strings apply to all double quoted strings...

> I can see that string attributes get escaped in the debug output as
> well, so I guess you un-escape/escape strings in both input and output,
> correct?

  Yes, when printing double quoted strings, you print the contents, including any escaped characters.

  The idea is that printing and parsing are the exact opposites.  So parse(print(string)) == string, and print(parse("foo")) == "foo"