Is this a job for FreeRadius?

Hans-Christian Esperer hc at hcesperer.org
Tue Sep 25 09:08:49 CEST 2018

On Mon, Sep 24, 2018 at 05:19:00PM -0400, Bret Schuhmacher wrote:
> Can I use FreeRadius to limit their access to the Internet to exclude a
> list of blacklisted sites until they prove their homework is done and I
> flip some bits to make policy changes **PER USER** and allow one child
> access to youtube without allowing the other child access?

Well, you could configure freeradius to tell your NAS to put each user in a
different VLAN, and then since each user has their own VLAN, you could
implement and dynamically change some policies on the router per vlan. So the
task of freeradius is limited to assigning the VLAN per user, the rest needs to
be done elsewhere, as others have already pointed out.

But, I know this is a bit off-topic maybe, why would you even want to implement
a complicated technical solution for this? Isn't that time lost spending with
and talking to your kids? As a kid, I would have felt very bad if my parents
had distrusted me so much that they felt the need to implement some digital
restrictions...

Cheers
 HC