Config FreeRadius (3.0.16) to work with SQL: The Guide is outdated - please helps

james.ngobui at gmail.com james.ngobui at gmail.com
Fri Sep 28 08:25:38 CEST 2018

Hello everyone,

Recently, I implemented freeradius for our home office.

I was able to use the method of editing the user file to add user to
authorize them using our network.

Now I would like to use mySQL with phpMyAdmin to control and manage other
users.

So I installed Lamp Stack from here:

https://www.digitalocean.com/community/tutorials/how-to-install-linux-apache
-mysql-php-lamp-stack-ubuntu-18-04

which basically install Apache server, SQL server and PHP server. I have all
3 up and run OK.

Anyway, after that I follow the Guide here to setup the mySQL

https://wiki.freeradius.org/guide/SQL-HOWTO-for-freeradius-3.x-on-Debian-Ubu
ntu

After I finished installing the freeradius-mysql module and created the
"radius" database, it shows up in the phpMyAdmin windows. I was excited.

However, further more in the Guide, I found a lot of
difference/discrepancies in term of file names, location of the files like
sql (not sure if sql.conf?). It seems that the Guide is now outdated and
pending for update to catch up with the new version of Freeradius file
organization

As a result, when I attempt to use SQL to authorize the users, the server
keeps rejecting my username/password

I run radtest and it says "No reply from server"

Could someone please instruct me how to start from the scratch again with a
proper file's names, locations of each required files, what to edit, etc..?

I thank you very much indeed for your support.

Again, thanks

James

---
https://www.avg.com