Freeradius with Docker - got Unknown CA error

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Fri Aug 9 02:29:44 CEST 2019

On Aug 8, 2019, at 8:13 PM, Jiuyu Sun <sunjiuyu at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have a working radiusd.conf which can do EAP-TLS authentication. I am
> able to run the FreeRadius server in Ubuntu directly. Now I am trying to
> make the FreeRadius server running in Docker and upload it to GCP. However,
> with the same radiusd.conf, I got the error "TLS Alert read:fatal:unknow
> CA".
>
> In my radiusd.conf, I have something like:

  That's all standard in the default configuration files.

> In my Dockerfile, I first have something like:
> WORKDIR /radius
> COPY radiusd.conf /radius
> COPY certs/ /radius/certs

  That should work.  See also:

https://github.com/FreeRADIUS/freeradius-server/tree/v3.0.x/scripts/docker

  There are pre-built docker scripts for v3, and for the major Linux distributions.

> (4) eap_tls: <<< recv TLS 1.2  [length 0002]
> (4) eap_tls: ERROR: TLS Alert read:fatal:unknown CA
> (4) eap_tls: TLS_accept: Need to read more data: error
> (4) eap_tls: ERROR: Failed in __FUNCTION__ (SSL_read): error:14094418:SSL
> routines:ssl3_read_bytes:tlsv1 alert unknown ca

  That's a message from the supplicant.  You configured the CA on FreeRADIUS, but not on the supplicant.

  Add the CA to the supplicant and it should work.