Radiusd hangs on redis cluster failover (sometimes)

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Fri Aug 9 20:44:26 CEST 2019

On Aug 9, 2019, at 1:27 PM, Milan Nikolic <gen2brain at gmail.com> wrote:
> So I now did exactly that and still have Debug lines in the log, see here
> (you can see what command is started after script in the log)
> https://pastebin.com/2nWMBKRM , that is not normal or now there are less
> Debug lines as you prefer?

  The default configuration doesn't do that.  I'm running the server from git HEAD, with the default configuration.  I've never seen to add the "Debug :" output to every line.

> If the path to directory or redirection of output can affect logging than I
> must say is not usual behavior and can be one of the reasons why every
> thread has a couple of posts where just this is discussed and not the
> actual issue.

  That is simply not true.  The majority of times that happens, it's for v3, AND they include the full timestamp in the debug output.  Which means that they have *deliberately* used "radiusd -Xx".

> Is there anything that can be enabled in the config file to get similar
> output (for me, not to post to lists)? For such powerful software debugging
> looks like the weakest thing. I tried debug_level 1, 2, 3, I was happy that
> I can change level "on fly" with radmin tool but all useful information I
> can only get with `-X` or `-Xx`. In my case, that means I must stop
> service, change config (I use some configs from ENV and it is not enough to
> export those because service forks as a user), manually start, find the
> issue then change back and start service. Not practical at all in
> production.

  This is where test systems come in handy.

> Debug log is above, sorry, I had to recompile, I commented out that line,
> because I don't want it in detail log, here is what I get:
>
> Fri Aug  9 15:34:48 2019
> Module-Failure-Message = "No 'accounting Start' section found: Ignoring it."

  Then you're not running the default configuration.  Which has an empty "accounting start" section.

> Should I add empty accounting Start {} section, is that a must now (didn't
> try that, just cross my mind)? What about others, i.e. Stop/Alive, etc. My
> "default" site config is very simple and basic, I only use
> Accounting-Request/Response and listen.

  Ah.  So you deleted almost everything in the default configuration.  And then got surprised that the server produced a warning message.

  That is not a productive thing to do.

  If you're running v4, "good luck".  If it works, great.  If it doesn't, submit a patch to fix it.

  v4 is in active development, and you should NOT be running it unless you know what you're doing.