[EXT] How to limit internet bandwidth consumption by radius

Brian Julin BJulin at clarku.edu
Thu Aug 22 18:13:23 CEST 2019

juliana sales porto <julianaporto3 at hotmail.com> wrote:
> Hello everyone, I would like to know how I can limit bandwidth consumption by radusergroup on freeradius for aruba equipment.

On Aruba bandwidth limits are controlled by user Roles and you have to
set up those roles on the NAS (controller/switch) side.

The role can be selected through a variety of methods using server derivation
rules in the radius server group definition on the NAS.  It's complicated...
you can use just about any attribute and certain special attributes are given
special priority and some attributes like Tunnel-Private-Group-Id can punch
through the role.  It is also possible to define roles dynamically on the RADIUS
side and "download" them, though Aruba only gives instructions for doing so
using their Clearpass product and does not give documentation on the
attributes it uses or their format IIRC.

There are a lot of different ways to do it.  Best to consult the ArubaOS manuals.