Cause of relatively large retransmission-rate in radsniff output

Fekete Tamás fektom at gmail.com
Tue Feb 12 11:17:43 CET 2019

Hello!

I would like to ask help with understanding my radsniff output as usually I
get a huge number of Access-Request retransmission rate.

When I have run radsniff -W 1, I got the following output:

Access-Request counters:
        Total     : 66.000/s
        Linked    : 64.000/s
        Unlinked  : 0.000/s
Access-Request latency:
        High      : 1000.607ms
        Low       : 0.260ms
        Average   : 17.473ms
        MA        : 23.723ms
Access-Request retransmits & loss:
        RT (0)    : 56.000/s

As it can be seen above, I got 56 retransmission.

It is a huge number compared to the 66 Total Access Request / sec.

I checked if the RT (retransmission) value contains the loss packets and
the Access-Requests which has been resent due to Access-Challenges.
My result is that loss packets are separately show up in this statistics
like:

Access-Request retransmits & loss:
        Lost      : 1.000/s
        RT (0)    : 55.000/s

And Access-Requests followed by Access-Challenges are not count into the
Retrasmission. Here is an output from a virtual machine which was tested
with eapol_test (with peap-mschapv2 method):
Interface capture rate:
        ens3      : 0.000/s
        lo        : 40.000/s
Access-Request counters:
        Total     : 10.000/s
        Linked    : 10.000/s
        Unlinked  : 0.000/s
Access-Request latency:
        High      : 6.417ms
        Low       : 0.119ms
        Average   : 0.949ms
        MA        : 0.949ms
Access-Accept counters:
        Total     : 1.000/s
        Linked    : 1.000/s
        Unlinked  : 0.000/s
Access-Accept latency:
        High      : 0.190ms
        Low       : 0.190ms
        Average   : 0.190ms
        MA        : 0.190ms
Access-Challenge counters:
        Total     : 9.000/s
        Linked    : 9.000/s
        Unlinked  : 0.000/s
Access-Challenge latency:
        High      : 6.417ms
        Low       : 0.119ms
        Average   : 1.033ms
        MA        : 1.033ms

It means that the Access-Requests followed by Access-Challenges are not
evaluated like Retransmitted requests. They are counted like new
Access-Requests.

So my question is, do you think this retransmission rate is normal?

And if not or not sure, do you have a hint or suggestion where to start the
investigation?
If I should use debug output of Freeradius, what is the thing I have to
look in it?

- Tamas Fekete