Authentication fails when username contains specific characters.

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Fri Jan 4 19:55:02 CET 2019

On Jan 4, 2019, at 3:35 AM, Izumi <hatosaburepoppo at gmail.com> wrote:
> Authentication fails when the username contains the next 23 characters.
> (like Andy1 and Burt1)
> 23 chars -> !#$%&()*+,;<=>?[]^`{|}~

  What's happening is that the server is protecting you from SQL injection attacks.

  See:  /mods-config/sql/main/mysql/queries.conf

  And the "safe_characters" configuration option.  You can list more characters there, but your users will then be able to "own" your SQL database.

> However, the authentication not fail when the password contains that 23
> characters. (like Eddy)
> What do I need to do to solve the problem of Andy1 and Burt1 ?

  Don't use special characters in user names.

> I read debug output and tried Andy2 and Burt2. (Enter equals sign and ASCII
> code in Hex (e.g. '=2B' for '+'))
> I found out that it will succeed in authentication, but is there any other
> solution ?
> Do I have to do this conversion each time I add a user ?
>
> I attached .bash_history and all files that may be useful.

  Don't do that.  We document the information we need.  You get told what information we need when you join the mailing list.