proxying accounting records

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Mon Jan 21 23:32:36 CET 2019

On Jan 21, 2019, at 4:01 PM, Alan Batie <alan at peak.org> wrote:

> I've had a proxy configuration setup to forward copies of accounting
> updates to two other radius servers for several years.  Recently, I
> added a third (which one of the original two will be moving to), however
> it's not working: while the original ones get the expected
> start/stop/interim-updates, the new one only gets "accounting-on"
> packets while the updates just pile up in the detail file.

  The debug log should show *why* that's happening.

>  That
> particular server ignores anything but start, stop and interim-update
> records (it's a vendor I have no control over).

  It's a ridiculous thing to do.  That seems to be the habit with RADIUS.

>  In monitoring what gets
> sent out, after restarting the radius server, I do not see Accounting-On
> getting sent to the original ones, so I don't understand why it's
> happening with the new one.  The configurations are identical except for
> the detail file name and the ip address (I only included the configs for
> the two related proxy targets for simplicity):

  The server doesn't really care about the contents of the packets it's proxying.  They're all the same.

  So something is different in your configuration, and treats the packets differently.  What is it?  The default configuration doesn't do anything special with proxying accounting "on" versus "start" or "stop".

  If there's nothing special in the config, see the debug output for what's going on.