4.0.x - issues with radmin tool

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Fri Jul 12 17:34:15 CEST 2019

On Jul 12, 2019, at 5:06 PM, Milan Nikolic <gen2brain at gmail.com> wrote:
> Some recent commit added `-S` option to radmin, to pass secret. I
> don't understand what secret it is asking for, from localhost that
> should be secret for localhost client right?

  No.

  radmin doesn't use RADIUS to talk to the server.  It uses it's own custom protocol.

> Whatever I try to enter if it asks for secret, or with `-S` option it
> just hangs.

  OK, that should be fixed.

  But it should work *without* the `-S`.  Hmm... I'll push a fix.

> I hacked/commented that part of code so I can use radmin as before
> (also on 4.0.x), but now every command executed with `radmin -e`
> returns always 1, even if succeeded, i.e.
> `radmin -f /run/radiusd/control/radiusd.sock -e 'stats network 0
> self'` shows stats but returns 1

  Hmm.  I see that here, too.  Not sure why, because the main() function i s trying to return 0.

>  (btw. nice that now radmin will look
> for socket file from config, but without `-f` it prints some debug
> output).

  I'll see if I can clean that up.

> Also, I have problems with `radmin -e 'set debug level 2'` for
> example, it does not do anything.

  That should also work.

  The issue right now may be that it does set the debug level, but doesn't change where the logs go?

> Is radmin still not in usable state? I use it for stats currently but
> it would be nice to have some easy way to switch debug levels on fly.

  It should mostly work, but there aren't (yet) detailed tests for it.  So functionality may regress as we change the code.