Proxy issue - Failing proxied request for user error

James Wood james.wood at purplewifi.com
Thu Jul 18 07:52:37 CEST 2019

Found it.

I checked `cat /proc/net/udp` and could see some packets being dropped in
the UDP buffer queue; and whilst monitoring the dropped packets we're
seeing from the clients, the numbers were going up in line with this.

So I increased the `net.core.rmem` and `net.core.wmem` values a little on
the server via sysctl, to increase the default UDP buffer size which has
stopped the timeouts from occurring.

I guess out the box the server has am appropriate value for the UDP buffer
queue but when using FreeRADIUS it fills it up if there's enough traffic
(and its all UDP) and then the kernel starts dropping packets.

Whist I appreciate it's not FreeRADIUS related, is there any advice around
the best sysctl values to use for a large FreeRADIUS server? Has anyone
come across this before?

Thanks