Can I gracefully handle radius requests if all home servers are down?

Peter Lambrechtsen peter at crypt.nz
Sat Jun 8 04:14:20 CEST 2019

At my previous job I cached all access-accepts in a local database as part
of the post-proxy including any custom VSAs the home server sent and
encrypted the password.

Then when the home server was went down the failover server kicked in and
the end users were still able to auth and kept on working.

Then I had aggressive timeouts of 2 seconds and then a backoff of 2 mins to
make sure the home server was back alive.

The only gotcha was to make sure that the destination server either
supported Status Messages so I can use those for keepalive or they provided
a static username & password to test when the server came back online.

Worked well in FR3 3.0.16/7 as I found a few minor bugs in the proxying
code in 3.0.14.

It's all documented in the proxy and realms config.