Conditional variable references

Adam Bishop Adam.Bishop at jisc.ac.uk
Sat Jun 8 14:39:25 CEST 2019

I store some settings like the redis password, and localhost shared secrets as variables, i.e.:

    ldap {
      identity = ${bind_dn}

as I'm running a single set of configuration shared across 3 different sets of servers, with a file called 'variables' generated by puppet that contains the instance specific settings.

Is there any way to have a default value for these kinds of variables so I don't have to populate unused ones with dummy values? Or to have the server ignore missing variable references?

I tried instantiating the variables as empty strings, then redefining them like:

    # cat /etc/raddb/radius.conf
    $INCLUDE defaults
    $INCLUDE variables

    # cat /etc/raddb/defaults
    bind_dn = ""

    # cat /etc/raddb/variables
    bind_dn = "dc=jisc,dc=ac,dc=uk"

Which loaded without error, but returned an empty string.

Adam Bishop

  gpg: E75B 1F92 6407 DFDF 9F1C  BF10 C993 2504 6609 D460

jisc.ac.uk