Microsoft ODBC bug

Dom Latter freeradius-users at latter.org
Fri Jun 21 16:27:39 CEST 2019

On 21/06/2019 15:00, Alan DeKok wrote:
 > On Jun 21, 2019, at 8:30 AM, Dom Latter <freeradius-users at latter.org>
wrote:
 >> I think I will now try iodbc instead - anybody here used it?
 >
 >    Occasionally, but not recently.
 >
 >> Executing select query: SELECT 10000
 >> rlm_sql_unixodbc: 22003 [Microsoft][ODBC Driver 17 for SQL
Server]Numeric value out of range

 >    That's ridiculous.
 >
 >    Maybe if it was 256, or 2^16 or 2^31. But a 5-digit number?  WTF.

Indeed.  But four digits = four 8 byte characters = 32 bits.

And five makes 40 bits.  Hence by some amazingly flawed logic,
9999 is fine, and 10000 is  "too big to go in an int".

And that is the only plausible explanation I can think of.

As I said, I would love to see the source code behind this...