max file descriptors

Stefan Winter stefan.winter at restena.lu
Wed Mar 13 13:08:27 CET 2019

Hello,

in src/lib/event.c there is:

#define FR_EV_MAX_FDS (512)

To my understanding, this limits the number of sockets FreeRADIUS can
listen on, as each of those uses a file descriptor.

Is there a specific reason for the number 512? I.e. is it worth trying
to up it to my liking, or has this been tried before and fails?

And, related: if I listen on IPv4 and IPv6 with ipv4addr and ipv6addr,
this typically consumes two FDs. Can I have one listen statement with
the ipaddr statement which then covers both (maybe the :: address), and
does that consume only one FD then?

Greetings,

Stefan Winter

--