seeking info on max.rate supported by dhcp.relay in v3.0.0.19

Katuri, Vikram Vikram.Katuri at viasat.com
Thu Mar 28 12:19:02 CET 2019

Hi Team,

May I please know the max.supported rate for dhcp.relay(with load balancing) in version 3.0.19.
I see its getting capped at 5000 incoming discovers and only
              2500 of them are able to complete the 4 way DORA(via dhcp.relay).
              3700 with discover and request alone handled by the dhcp.relay and request and ack directly sent by the dhcp server to the client bypassing the relay(by not filling in the gateway address, server sends to the ciaddr).
Setup details:
              5 clients running perfdhcp each trying dhcp transactions at a rate of 1000/sec.
              Dhcp.relay on v3.0.19 running on c4.2xlarge instance (8 CPUs) on AWS cloud, 3 v4 dhcp servers behind it running on t2.medium instances on AWS cloud.

My Load balancing logic is as following:

server dhcp.eth1 {
	listen {
		ipaddr = *
		port = 67
		type = dhcp
		interface = eth1
	}

	#  Packets received on the socket will be processed through one
	#  of the following sections, named after the DHCP packet type.
	#  See dictionary.dhcp for the packet types.
       dhcp DHCP-Discover {
                redundant-load-balance {
                        group {
                          update config {

                                &DHCP-Relay-To-IP-Address := 10.43.x.a

                         group {
                          update config {

                                &DHCP-Relay-To-IP-Address := 10.43.x.b

                         group {
                          update config {

                                &DHCP-Relay-To-IP-Address := 10.43.x.c

#                update request {
                        # IP Address of the DHCP relay (ourselves)
#                        &DHCP-Gateway-IP-Address := 10.43.x.d
#                }
                ok
        }

         dhcp DHCP-Request {
                update config {

                        &DHCP-Relay-To-IP-Address := &request:DHCP-DHCP-Server-Identifier
                }
 #               update request {
 #                       &DHCP-Gateway-IP-Address := 10.43.x.d
                ok

Please letme know if there are any benchmarking results from earlier tests.
Thanks in advance,
Vikram.