EAP-TLS and IOS 13

Ted Hyde (RSI) thyde at rndstudio.com
Mon Nov 4 20:18:47 CET 2019

I love *pple. And by love I mean exactly the opposite.....Regardless, my
many thanks to all that assisted with my tribulations and blatherings
regarding getting ipads and Win10 machines working with an EAP-TLS
environment. As of this morning I had everything migrated, wiped,
re-tested, full bare-metal automation tested and ready to deploy to the
minions. I had a very happy moment.

Until someone walked in with an ipad that they just upgraded to IOS 13.

tl/dr: IOS13 introduces more stringent compliance for certificates
(https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT210176) and that means certificates
that used to work for EAP, now do not install - well that's not true.
They install, they say they're verified, but the ipad does not recognize
them as useful, and ONLY presents a TTLS-like connection interface
(username and password, instead of certificate and identity). They
simply sit there all happy and useless. (BTW, manual cert install is now
an 8 page document in my library, including download, allow,accept,
enable Cert Trust Settings, install, validate and....then watch do
nothing.) Since the ipad does not present a tls transaction, FR3 doesn't
participate. I am not using EAP-TTLS, so that module does exactly what
is it supposed to do - find no verified username and reject.

I've used my google-fu to get the basic idea of modifying the openssl
commands to include the EKU, and sha2, but some of the other
requirements I'm not sure about implementing. The "no longer than 2
years" is also a PITA. Either way, has anyone worked out a magic bullet
for this yet? Amazingly, M$ is no longer on my hated list - the Win10
machines are now in the "it simply works" category! Longing to learn
from the masters, yet again!

Thanks,

Ted.