Freeradius, SQL, Certs and Newbie

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Wed Oct 2 20:20:18 CEST 2019

On Oct 1, 2019, at 10:21 PM, Daniel Zirkin <zirkin at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Good evening all.  Perhaps I'm going overboard... I have two WAP's covering 3.5 acres.  I'd rather not have neighbors/neer-do-wells accessing our network.  I've setup a separate network for outside secured with Freeradius.
>
> I have Freeradius 3.0.19 up and running on Fedora 30.  I am using Mariadb for account information.  All is well.

  That's good.

> I've come to realize that plaintext authentication even with WPA3/2ent isn't all that secure.  Also, I'm trying to get a few IOT devices to connect.  Phones and laptops all work well.
>
> I though perhaps adding client certs into the mix would tighten things up.

  That should be fine.

> I've created them and I think configured things correctly.
>
> eapol_test -a127.0.0.1 -p1812 -s ******* -c /root/Documents/eapol_test-eaptls.conf
>
> gives me;
>
> MPPE keys OK: 1  mismatch: 0
> SUCCESS
>
> So now I can connect with certs or with a plaintext user/pass from sql.  I can't seem to get it to require a cert then check the database for account info.

  What did you tell it to do?

> What am I missing?

  We have no idea what you did, so we can't give much in the way of advice.

  Normally if you configure EAP-TLS with client certs, then anyone with a valid client cert is allowed access.  What "account info" are you looking for in the DB?  Passwords?  If so, EAP-TLS doesn't use passwords.