Installing Freeradius on my cloud server

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Thu Oct 3 12:54:49 CEST 2019

On Oct 3, 2019, at 4:03 AM, Tim Dawson <tim at ramasaig.com> wrote:
> I'm sorry if it's not really clear what I'm doing. The link I sent contained every command line I used, though I realise it would be tedious to follow it all. Maybe what I'm doing isn't the right thing at all, but then that's why I come to a mailing list like this, for help.

  If you have an issue with someone else's documentation, then ask them for help.  It's not appropriate to ask me to read through a long installation guide, especially when 75% or more is unrelated to FreeRADIUS.  This list is for help with FreeRADIUS.  It is *not* for getting general system administration help.

> My understanding was simply that I needed to have a Radius Server available. I thought the obvious place to have it would be on my cloud server. I imagine that's where the captive portal will live too.

  That's not the way that captive portals usually work.  They sit at the edge, and usually they're the local router / firewall.

> I will try to get a better understanding of the whole Captive Portal procedure and then return if necessary to ask specific questions about Freeradius.

  That would help.