What are the consequences of a low Acct-Interim-Interval?

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Thu Oct 17 15:59:30 CEST 2019

On Oct 17, 2019, at 9:55 AM, Houman <houmie at gmail.com> wrote:

>>  And a 10s timeout might work, but it's generally low.  If you set it to
>> ~300, then the authentication might restart.
>>

> But if I set Session-Timeout to 300 then I haven't gained anything,
> because Acct-Interim-Interval is already set to 300.
>
> My hope was to run the conditionals in preacct sooner than 300s intervals
> without increasing the traffic.

  If you want to check every 5s what people are doing, then RADIUS isn't the way to do it.

  As I've tried to make clear, RADIUS wasn't designed to do this, and it is very likely to not work.

  You should use something else to monitor traffic on the system which sees the traffic.  That's what everyone else does if they need "live" status of a session.

  You've spent a lot of time trying to hammer a square peg into a round hole.  I suggest another approach.