chap: ERROR: &control:Cleartext-Password is required for authentication

Matthew Newton mcn at freeradius.org
Fri Sep 6 15:38:27 CEST 2019

On Fri, 2019-09-06 at 15:33 +0200, Cesare Esposito wrote:
> I have the following error for one authorisation:
> "chap: ERROR: &control:Cleartext-Password is required for
> authentication" as you can also see in the debug text.
>
> Usually this error is related to a missing password or a wrong
> password.
> However I am using almost the same authorisation procedure on another
> freeradius platform
> And on the other platform the authorisation worked well without
> problems.
> So my question is
> Are there other known grounds to have the above error ?

No

(8) sql: EXPAND SELECT id, username, attr, value, op FROM radcheck WHERE username = '%{SQL-User-Name}' ORDER BY id
(8) sql:    --> SELECT id, username, attr, value, op FROM radcheck WHERE username = '0203995844 at swd.net' ORDER BY id
(8) sql: Executing select query: SELECT id, username, attr, value, op FROM radcheck WHERE username = '0203995844 at swd.net' ORDER BY id

So what happens when you run that query against the database yourself
(as the same user FreeRADIUS uses). Do you get the Cleartext-Password
attribute in the reply?

--
Matthew