FR 3.0.21 : Failed adding proxy socket: Too many open sockets

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Tue Aug 18 15:25:42 CEST 2020

On Aug 18, 2020, at 9:19 AM, Arnaud LAURIOU <arnaud.lauriou at renater.fr> wrote:
> We are upgrading our eduroam proxy server to FR 3.0.21. We have ~550 clients and home_server.
>
> When we start FR, it seems that the number of udp socket keep increases, we have a lot of log
> lines like :
> Info:  ... adding new socket proxy address * port 50740
>
> Until this one :
> Error: Failed adding proxy socket: Too many open sockets

  Yes, it only supports 256 proxy sockets.

  Are you setting a unique src_ipaddr for each home server?  Because that will definitely increase the number of sockets used.

  There's no issue with 1000 home servers using the same socket.  RADIUS allows it, and FreeRADIUS has been tested with it.

> Then, some proxied requests are still working fine but other ones (new ones which need a
> new socket ?) are rejected :
> (365476) Tue Aug 18 15:05:46 2020: ERROR: proxy: Failed allocating Id for proxied request
>
> With netstat or lsof, udp sockets are opened but not so many :
> $ lsof -p <freeradius_pid> | grep UDP | wc -l
> 259

  That's still a lot of sockets.

> Any idea how to solve this issue ?

  a) allow home servers to share src_ipaddr, which means that they can share sockets

  b) edit src/lib/packet.c, and change MAX_SOCKETS from 256 to 1024, or maybe 2048.  It just has to be a power of 2.