[EXTERNAL] Re: FR 3.0.21 : Failed adding proxy socket: Too many open sockets

Winfield, Alister Alister.Winfield at sky.uk
Fri Aug 21 12:28:17 CEST 2020

Add to this that you should care about latency. No point queuing 1000's of extra requests if it means that the queue is too long to process...

That is the time to process everything in the queue > timeout of clients / devices. (Only option if that’s the case is more capacity or optimisation wherever the bottleneck is).

To get AAA tuning right the only option is test it with realistic requests and request rates and see what you get. Get into the habit of doing this for every change and you won't get surprised by sudden performance deltas associated with what on the face of it are trivial configuration updates. Also beware the hockey stick performance case found by graphing request rate vs latency. See a huge latency delta for a tiny delta in request rate and you need to be careful if you are running anywhere near the limit.

Alister.

On 20/08/2020, 15:55, "Freeradius-Users on behalf of Alan DeKok" <freeradius-users-bounces+alister.winfield=sky.uk at lists.freeradius.org on behalf of aland at deployingradius.com> wrote:

    On Aug 20, 2020, at 10:46 AM, Arnaud LAURIOU <arnaud.lauriou at renater.fr> wrote:
    > I have a few questions for which I haven't found answer yet :
    > Is there good tuning practices ?

      Set it to a value which is reasonable.  What "reasonable" means depends on your situation.

      i.e. a busy server may *normally* have thousands of packets outstanding.  A small server may normally have 10 packets outstanding.

    > Is this counter reset ? For example :
    > - If a home_server is temporarly dead, is his value reset when it comes alive again ?

      If the home server is dead, then it has no outstanding packets.  And therefore the outstanding packet counter is zero.

    > - If a home_server reaches this counter limit, how long will it be unused ?

      Until it either responds to packets (which lowers the outstanding counter), or it is marked as dead (which sets the counter to zero).

      i.e. it does what makes sense.

      Alan DeKok.

    -
    List info/subscribe/unsubscribe? See https://eur01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.freeradius.org%2Flist%2Fusers.html&data=02%7C01%7Calister.winfield%40sky.uk%7C6e6a50a7ffa54150d27a08d845190583%7C68b865d5cf184b2b82a4a4eddb9c5237%7C0%7C1%7C637335321057136541&sdata=WAxelrAW%2F07e%2Fckmj3nbZIVAkwH0%2FAyJFOoG%2BLf7p14%3D&reserved=0
    This email is from an external source. Please do not open attachments or click links from an unknown or suspicious origin. Phishing attempts can be reported by using the report message button in Outlook or sending them as an attachment to phishing at sky.uk. Thank you

Information in this email including any attachments may be privileged, confidential and is intended exclusively for the addressee. The views expressed may not be official policy, but the personal views of the originator. If you have received it in error, please notify the sender by return e-mail and delete it from your system. You should not reproduce, distribute, store, retransmit, use or disclose its contents to anyone. Please note we reserve the right to monitor all e-mail communication through our internal and external networks. SKY and the SKY marks are trademarks of Sky Limited and Sky International AG and are used under licence.

Sky UK Limited (Registration No. 2906991), Sky-In-Home Service Limited (Registration No. 2067075), Sky Subscribers Services Limited (Registration No. 2340150) and Sky CP Limited (Registration No. 9513259) are direct or indirect subsidiaries of Sky Limited (Registration No. 2247735). All of the companies mentioned in this paragraph are incorporated in England and Wales and share the same registered office at Grant Way, Isleworth, Middlesex TW7 5QD