User name case insensitivity

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Fri Feb 21 23:24:07 CET 2020

On Feb 21, 2020, at 5:48 PM, Luveh Keraph <1.41421 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I would like for my FreeRADIUS 3.0.20 server to match user names to be
> authenticated in a case-insensitive way.

  You want it to match *all* names in a case insensitive way?

> To that effect, I changed the
> contents of /etc/raddb/mods-enabled/sradutmp as follows:
>
> radutmp sradutmp {
>    filename = ${logdir}/sradutmp
>    case_sensitive = "no"

  No... that changes the case insensitivity of the *radutmp* module.  The comments in the module make this clear.

> When I launch the FreeRADIUS server with -sfXx in the resulting traces I
> can see that the module above has been loaded, and that the case_sensitive
> attribute is indeed set to "no". However, the FreeRADIUS server remains
> user name case-sensitive. What am I misunderstanding here?

  You're seeing the server run modules which *aren't* radump, and which *don't* take any "case_sensitive" parameter.  I'm not sure why editing the "radutmp" module would make the "files" or "pap" module be case insensitive.

  In FreeRADIUS, user name lookups are generally done via databases.  If you want the lookups to be case insensitive, then change the database queries

  So... which database are you using to look up user names / passwords?