FreeBSD 11.3-RELEASE-p5, freeRADIUS 3.0.20, openssl 1.1.1d -> segfault

Ferdinand Goldmann Ferdinand.Goldmann at jku.at
Tue Jan 21 13:56:16 CET 2020

On Mon, 20 Jan 2020, Alan DeKok wrote:

>> This particular radius server connects to our LDAP load balancer using
>> openssl. When compiling against the openssl port from the ports
>> tree (1.1.1d) freeRADIUS crashes with a segmentation violation on startup.
>
>  Please see doc/bugs for instructions on what we need in order to track this down.

Using the backtrace from gdb I was able to find the culprit: the
openldap-client. :-(

While the updated freeRADIUS server was compiled against openssl 1.1.1d
from the FreeBSD ports tree, the openldap-client was compiled against
openssl 1.0.2s from the base system. This led to the segmentation violation.

Once I re-installed openldap-client compiled against openssl 1.1.1d from the
ports tree radiusd started just fine.

On the previous system openldap-client and freeradius were compiled against a
mix of openssl libraries from base and ports, too - but both openssl libraries
were the same version ... so it did not matter.

Thanks for your help!
Regards
Ferdinand

--