How to deal with switches not sending User-Password attribute for MAC-based authentication

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Sat Jan 25 02:48:53 CET 2020

> On Jan 24, 2020, at 2:01 PM, Martin Gignac <martin.gignac at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Actually, my idea to "just let the REST API handle" is pretty ridiculous
> since right now I can't even get FreeRADIUS to send to REST if I don't have
> a User-Password attribute:
>
>  rest: ERROR: You set 'Auth-Type = REST' for a request that does not
> contain a User-Password attribute!

  You're using the REST module for authentication.  There's no need to do that.  You can use the REST module for doing *any* REST query.

> So I guess my request is this: is it possible to get FreeRADIUS to forward
> requests to the REST module even if the request does not contain a
> User-Password attribute? If so, how?

  Add a User-Password attribute.  The issue is that you're adding it to the "control" list.  This is wrong.  Add it to the "request" list, so that it's added to the incoming packet.  It should then work.