How to deal with device self-registration best?

Nilsson, Cristian (Göteborg) Cristian.Nilsson at eltelnetworks.se
Tue Jan 28 23:16:43 CET 2020

Hello everyone!

I am quite new to freeradius and apologize if this has been answered before, I have searched - and a lot of it without finding a good answer.
Please direct me if this is already answered.

I have a setup of Extreme Wing wi-fi controller and want to implement a guest-user system with captive-portal and device registration/recognition in combination with the standard pre-defined users.

I have a radius server going and everything is good as long as I have a user created in radius.

Now my challenge is that for "device registration" I see in radius debugs a username sent in form of device mac-address (password is empty) and the expected access-reject as this user is not defined.

How can I on the fly add non-existing users into radius database (we use mysql) and from there let accounting take over for session limitations etc?
Preferably this would also match some sort of criteria, example a specific subnet.

I greatly appreciate any help!

Mvh

Cristian Nilsson
Systemingenjör IP - NMC Service Support
Service Assurance Communication - NMC

ELTEL Networks Infranet AB
Postadress - Box 8914, 402 73 Göteborg
Besöksadress - Säterigatan 20, 417 64 Göteborg
Orgnr: 556555-1073
Säte: Stockholm
cristian.nilsson at eltelnetworks.se<mailto:cristian.nilsson at eltelnetworks.se>
Telefon +46(0)727 09 72 71
www.eltelnetworks.se

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE
This e-mail is confidential and may contain legally privileged information. If you have received it by mistake, please inform us by reply e-mail and then delete it (including any attachments) from your system; you should not copy it or in any other way disclose its content to anyone.