Config file include order bug?

Sven Hartge sven at svenhartge.de
Wed Jul 15 14:19:38 CEST 2020

On 15.07.20 14:13, Matthew Newton wrote:

> On 15/07/2020 12:51, Sven Hartge wrote:> I just noticed something
> strange with 3.0.21 from buster-backport...> Notice how the load-order
> is different? It seems freeradius does not > load the files in
> alphanumeric order but in the order the filesystem > presents them,
> breaking the parsing of policy.d/thm_rada in this case > because
> policy.d/canonicalization hasn't been parsed yet.> > Is this known or am
> I doing something wrong?
> I don't believe FreeRADIUS has ever made any guarantees about file load
> order in a directory.
>
>> The comment states "If policy A calls policy B, then B MUST be defined
>> before A." which I am doing here, because "t" comes after "c" but it
>> clearly isn't doing that.
>
> You can include a file in the main radiusd.conf which contains your
> definitions, before the policy directory is included. That way it's
> explicit in the config and won't break.

Of course, as a quick workaround I could also just append the contents
of thm_rada to canonicalization to make it work.

But I'd rather keep the configuration as pristine as possible to make
upgrades down the line easier.

And in the end the load order should be fixed by sorting before loading
to make it stable for everyone and not break semi-randomly based on the
way a filesystem presents/stores the entries in a directory.

Grüße,
Sven.