Converting from GNU radius for a computone Client and an OpenVPN client using port 1645

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Fri Jun 19 17:19:19 CEST 2020

On Jun 17, 2020, at 12:14 AM, The Doctor via Freeradius-Users <freeradius-users at lists.freeradius.org> wrote:

> Currently I wish to convert from GNU radius to Free Radius.

  Nice!  I never understood GNU radius.  It seemed to be a one-person project to get the *GNU* stamp on a RADIUS server.

  i.e. the GNU people don't like GPL code.  They like code that THEY own.  <sigh>

> What is needed to convert this to Freeradius 3?

  Well... you need to read the FreeRADIUS documentation and see how things relate.

  FreeRADIUS has a "hints" file.  it has a "users" file.  It has a "clients" file in clients.conf.  It has realms defined in proxy.conf.

  We don't have a detailed "howto" guide on converting from GNU RADIUS to FreeRADIUS.  GNU RADIUS was used by only a small number of people, and the project has been dead for over 10 years.

  I suggest going through the FreeRADIUS documents, and setting things up slowly.  The configuration files are well documented.  Just read them, and fill things in.

> Openvpn radius plugin will assume to be not adjusted.

  I don't know what that is, so I don't know.