cross compiling freeradius

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Fri Oct 16 00:12:54 CEST 2020

On Oct 15, 2020, at 6:08 PM, Erich Titl <erich.titl at think.ch> wrote:
> So you are telling me that after commenting the offending macros in
> configure.ac a make reconfig is the right thing to do?

  Yes.  Maybe:

./configure

  edit configure.ac

make reconfig

  Which will then regenerate configure.

>>  Don't run autogen.sh.  It will do all kinds of stupidities in order to
>
> I read you and that worries me. Should it not be removed from the
> distibution?

  Probably.

>>  We don't use libtool.  It's garbage.
>
> It appears to be put in config.status and that is created by configure
> AFAIK.

  libtool is a horrific 4K LoC shell script which is supposed to do cross-platform building.  It's insane.

  We use a better faster tool

> Well, we have some kind of a standardised build process, grown over the
> years. Basically it ia a Makefile which prepares the package and then
> runs configure with predefined options and then a make using the
> generated configuration. I would like to streamline this and doubt I
> will easily throw all this infrastructure away. Maybe we are wrong to
> use cross compile but this is hard to foresee as we are supporting a
> number of different architectures, e.g. x486, x686, x86-64 and a few RPI
> versions. I can of course control what this makefile does.

  You can re-generate the "configure" script, and then use "git" to create your own repo.

> mega at leafbuilder:~/leaf/devel/master-new-openssl/source/x86_64-unknown-linux-uclibc/radius/freeradius-server-3.0.21$
> make reconfig
> make: Nothing to be done for 'reconfig'.

  Then you didn't edit "configure.ac", I think.  Or, you regenerated "configure" after editing "configure.ac"

> There appears to be some code to build libtool in the scripts directory.
>
> mega at leafbuilder:~/leaf/devel/master-new-openssl/source/x86_64-unknown-linux-uclibc/radius$
> tar tjf freeradius-server-3.0.21.tar.bz2 | grep libtool
> freeradius-server-3.0.21/scripts/jlibtool.c
> freeradius-server-3.0.21/scripts/libtool.mk

  jlibtool != libtool

  We don't use libtool.  It's garbage.