Freeradius 3.x - CoA proxy and dynamic-client

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Tue Sep 1 13:57:26 CEST 2020

On Sep 1, 2020, at 7:50 AM, Alex <allexander.alex at gmail.com> wrote:
> My scenario is like this
>

> Client ----- proxy (FR 3.x) ------ AAA (FR 3.x)
>
>                          |----------------- COA generator (Java)
>

> So, I have a proxy frontend with dynamc-clients virtualserver wich forwards
> the authentication and accounting requests to the backend via realm module.
> this is working like a charm.

  That's good.

> I would like to use also coa requests to the client. this requests are
> generated by a java software, then they should be proxied by the frontend
> and forwarded to the client.

  Why?  Why not just send them directly to the client?

  The client only knows that the packet came from the IP of the proxy, and has the correct shared secret.  The client doesn't know that the packet was sent by FreeRADIUS, or by a separate application.

> from my understanding the realm module needs a static client definition to
> proxy the coa requests, but this is not applicable to my scenario.

  v3 doesn't support dynamic home servers.

> so now I'm trying to find some kind of workaround, but i'm not able to find
> any documentation on known pattern on the documentation.
>
> is someone facing the same problem or had solved it in the past?

  Just use "radclient" to send packets directly to the client.