Add VSA in pre-proxy stage

Bjørn Mork bjorn at mork.no
Fri Sep 11 20:41:21 CEST 2020

Alan DeKok <aland at deployingradius.com> writes:
> On Sep 11, 2020, at 10:06 AM, Arnaud LAURIOU <arnaud.lauriou at renater.fr> wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I'm trying to add a VSA in an Access-Request before proxing it to an authentification RADIUS server.
>>
>> I use this attribute definition :
>> BEGIN-VENDOR    FreeRADIUS      format=Extended-Vendor-Specific-1
>> ATTRIBUTE       FreeRADIUS-Eduroam-Prevent-Loop         1 integer
>> END-VENDOR      FreeRADIUS
>
>   Please don't use VSAs you don't control.  We will likely add our own
>   definitions which conflict with this one.
>
>   If you do need custom VSAs, just use a custom vendor number, and
>   create your own dictionary.  i.e. use a vendor number like 32000.
>   Which is used by someone, but 99.99% not for RADIUS.  So it's mostly
>   OK.

Note that a vendor number is cheap.  Actually, free.  As in free beer
Just fill in the form at https://pen.iana.org/pen/app

Then you can create as many RADIUS VSAs as you like without worrying
about dictionary collisions.  Or at least a couple of hundred :-)

32000 belongs to Ekstrem Bir Bilgisayar, BTW.

Bjørn