moving from freeradius 2 to 3

Brian Turnbow b.turnbow at twt.it
Wed Apr 7 13:09:57 CEST 2021

Hello
We have an outdated freeradius 2.0 setup that we are looking to upgrade to 3.0.
The old setup has a mysql db and we have run into an issue trying to replicate the same configuration with 3.0.
We have gotten everything installed and working but in our actual setup we use some regex expressions from the db such as

NAS-Port-Type  =~ ^(Ethernet|Virtual|PPPoEoVLAN)$    to filter nas port types
or
NAS-IP-Address	=~ ^(192.168.0.11|192.168.0.227|192.168.0.34|192.168.0.244)$  to filter which nas users can connect from

In 3.0 it seems that the use of regex from a db has been removed.
Is there a way to make it work ?

The goal
We use different checks in different groups and assign the user to the correct group for the service he has purchased.
If there is another way to accomplish this I am all ears.

Thanks in advance

Brian