Proxy PAP authentication and encapsulate it as EAP-TTLS

Idan Sheinberg ishinberg0 at gmail.com
Sat Aug 21 21:48:28 CEST 2021

Hi

We are trying to integrate with JumpCloud's RADIUS services in to order to
provide MFA/2FA integration for OpenVPN services

Our RADIUS client is a PfSense appliance on AWS that doesn't support
EAP-TTLS. Due to the need to support OTP, we are limited to the PAP protocol

What we're interested in doing is setting an intermediary FreeRadius proxy
in between, that'll accept PAP authentication request from our local
appliance and proxy them to the remote endpoint encapsulated in EAP-TTLS
requests (we have the remote endpoint server certificate):

+----------------------+                   +----------------------+
                        +-----------------------------+
|                            |                    |
    |                                 |                                    |
|  PfSense VPN    |      PAP       |    FreeRADIUS   | EAP-TTLS/PAP    |
JumpCloud RADIUS  |
|                           +---------------->
 +------------------------->                                     |
|      Appliance      |                    |          Proxy         |
                           |            Server              |
|                            |                    |
    |                                 |                                    |
+----------------------+                   +----------------------+
                        +-----------------------------+

I've successfully got standard PAP proxying working, but I have no clue as
to how to get EAP-TTLS encapsulation working

1) Is such proxying setup even possible?
2) If so, could anyone please provide me with some general guidelines as to
how to get such setup working?

10x

--
Best Regards